The Law Offices of Tim L. Fields, LLC - Personal Injury, Car Accident

Call Today for Consultation:

Attentive Service And Staunch Advocacy

What types of compensation can I claim after an accident?

On Behalf of | Jan 5, 2017 | Uncategorized |

If you were involved in a car accident because of the actions of another motorist or entity, you may be able to pursue a claim against them to help offset the costs associated with medical care, long-term treatment needs and related expenditures. Though the exact types of compensation you may be able to pursue will vary based on the specific details of your accident, the types of injuries you sustain and how those injuries are expected to affect you moving forward, you may be able to collect compensation in one or more of the following areas:

For medical expenditures

After a car accident, your injuries may be minor and only require a quick visit to your doctor, or they could prove catastrophic and leave you needing care and treatment for the remainder of your life. You may be able to pursue compensation after your accident that will help you cover ambulance fees, hospital stays, therapy, visits with specialists or physical disfigurement. You might also be able to seek compensation to help cover any in-home medical care you may need in the future or any health-related accessories you may now need, such as crutches or a wheelchair.

For lost wages

If the injury or injuries you suffer impact your ability to work, you may also be able to seek compensation in the form of lost wages. To collect lost wages compensation, you need to effectively demonstrate how your injury has impeded your ability to perform the duties of your job. You may also be able to pursue lost wages if you are unable to secure an income because of intensive therapy sessions or an extended amount of time spent in the hospital or in recovery.

For pain and suffering

If you are left with mental anguish or symptoms of physical distress following your accident, you might have the right to pursue compensation for pain and suffering. Accidents that are particularly harrowing or severe can also leave lifelong mental and emotional scars, and pain and suffering compensation is designed to address these types of repercussions.

For loss of affection, companionship or consortium

Loss of affection, companionship or consortium (the ability to engage in sexual activity) differ from the other types of compensation listed in that they are damages sought by your spouse rather than you following your accident. For your spouse to do so, however, you must first receive compensation for your own injuries. Your spouse may choose to seek these types of compensation if his or her life is forever changed following your accident because you are no longer able to give affection or engage in sexual activity.

For more about the types of compensation you may be able to seek after an auto accident, consider a meeting with a lawyer.